Thursday 15 October 2009

For Diane Maurer, the origin of the universe.

****************************************

A very simple idea:
to throw only one drop of ox gall in the center of a tray full of colors and...
see what happens.

The drop is transformed, stretches up and down, and the result, frankly,
is not especially attractive.



But after doing the previous paper, I remembered at once the book of Diane Maurer:


(ISBN: 0823055752 / 0-8230-5575-2)
It is a fabulous book on marbling and its diverse techniques and also a guide for the achievement of diverse patterns. It is very much known in the United States, but also here, a student took it to one of my classes and asked me if it knew it.

Yes, of course, and not only I knew it, but, I must confess it and ask for excuses to Diane, for whom I wait that she should not bother for what I am going to say, I was distributing to my pupils photocopies of two pages that have me fascinated since I saw them.

Diane tells there how to turn a round drop of paint into diverse figures.
A butterfly, a fish, a hummingbird, stars and plants.
Step by step, like a cooking recipe.

I do not dare to repeat here my misconduct, but I include a sample so that you see of what I am speaking of.



This is what I wanted to do.
To throw a few drops of paint and to turn them into stars.
But with my ox gall instead of black.
I proposed myself to repeat all the forms that were appearing on these two pages and then to show them to Diane.

The star was not very complicated to make.


**



But when I tried the fish... what a pity.
The fact is that these things do not go out for me even with the drawing ahead.



What it went out for me looks like a stuck-up beetle.
An armoured monster.
Anything, except a fish.




You can laugh. It was what I did.
And also, after my "fish" I abandoned my photocopies.

But I kept on doing. Marbling is addictive. One cannot stop.
And better that one cannot stop, because far away from the diagrams,
figures began to appear.

A few variations on the spiral movement.






Up to arrive to something similar to a sun emerging from a blue horizon.




Of course, I went crazy with the spirals.


**

**


**

I couldn’t stop doing them until galaxies were appearing.

Big ones...






... little ones...


... or doubles.

**

Now it was to my taste.
As a "fish" in the water.

I then tried with the typical concentric circles of the marbling "test".

My wife calls this paper "the kiss", she will know why.


**

Spirals also can be done with this technique.

**

But, when one get a move on, everything is possible.
I tried with my trees, my version of the "Art Nouveau " design, now different.

**


**

And, making experiments, a tree and a spiral.


I am interested in the ox gall, I like playing with it.
It was necessary to try to paint the background that fascinates me in white,
because it could be that a soft background will heightening the figures.





Yes, it is like the magma where life floats.
Amoebae and protozoan.
Natural sciences of primary school. Almost I do not even remember.


**

As everything goes and comes, I kept on painting strange figures.


**



Combining the first model with which I began this text with figures in its interior...



... I realized how could be the origin of the universe...



... everything was born from floating colors...



... !marbling is the origin of the universe¡




3 comments:

d drees said...

Thanks so much. This is very interesting
D Drees

Sharon said...

Charming! I enjoyed so much your exploration of spirals and the origin of the universe.

Sharon

mikeksf said...

A wonderful tale of discovery. Thanks